5 Grout and Tile Cleaning FAQs
Dirty, moldy grout and tile isn’t something that anyone wants in their home. Unfortunately, grout and tile cleaning can be a difficult task – sometimes, it seems that no amount of scrubbing will get your tile sparkling. But with a little effort, you can get your grout and tile looking great. Here, a tile cleaning expert answers some of the most commonly asked questions about cleaning your tile.
1. Why should I get my grout and tile cleaned? Aside from the obvious aesthetic reasons for cleaning your grout and tile, it’s also important to keep tile and grout clean because these areas can be a breeding ground for harmful microbes and pathogens. Grout, which is a porous material, can be especially problematic since it easily absorbs grease, oil, and other substances – which can contribute to poor indoor air quality.
2. How can I tell if my grout or tile needs cleaning? The first step in determining if you need grout or tile cleaning is a visual inspection. If the grout and tile looks dirty, it probably should be cleaned. Also try to compare the grout and tile in high-traffic areas to that in low-traffic areas. If the tile in high-traffic areas is dirtier and darker than other areas, it should be cleaned.
3. What should I do if my grout is moldy or mildewed? Moldy or mildewed grout can be very difficult to clean. While a good scrubbing with a household cleaner may remove mold on the surface of grout, often the mold is actually deeply embedded inside the grout. If the do-it-yourself grout and tile cleaning methods you’ve tried aren’t solving your mold problem, you may need to hire a professional cleaning service to resolve the issue.
4. Should I hire a professional grout and tile cleaning service? Whether you should hire a professional tile cleaning service depends on how dirty your tile and grout is. While manual cleaning may remove surface dirt, it can be next-to-impossible to remove more deeply embedded dirt and grime yourself. Tile cleaning experts use special equipment to deep-clean your tile and grout. Plus, after the cleaning is complete, most professional cleaners will apply a sealant to your tile and grout to make it easier to clean in the future.
5. Can a professional cleaning service make my tile look like new? That depends. While professional cleaning can produce impressive results, it’s not always possible to return tile to “like-new” condition. Old tile may have imperfections that are impossible to remove, and if you’ve neglected cleaning your tile and grout for a number of years, it may be more difficult to remove deeply embedded stains.