Tips for a Successful Home Renovation Project
A home should be a treasure chest for the living. – Le Corbusier
Your home should not be just a place where you go to nap after a long day’s work. It should be your personal retreat. It should help you to unwind, relax and rejuvenate. If your home doesn’t make you feel comfortable, it is time to renovate it and make it desirable for you.
A home renovation project can be excruciating for homeowners. It is because they often forget to be cautious while making decisions. But, if you are practical and make the right choices, you will be successful in transforming your home into a comfortable living space.
Total Attention ensures Total Success
A home renovation project does not simply begin with a budget. It is important to make informed decisions because renovating a home is an expensive task. If you make a mistake, you will have to spend your savings on rework. So, it is better to be attentive during the entire process of the home renovation project.
Before starting the Process
Fixing a leaking faucet may be a DIY job for you. But, not every home task can be a DIY job. For large-scale renovation, you will have to call the experts. When you are in the process of choosing a home renovation contractor, consider the following points:
· The Best is always Busy
When it comes to hiring a contractor, you must remember that a slow response is not a bad sign. Usually, the best contractors are busy and so they may require a few days to get back to you. It is important to have patience because hiring a wrong person can be a nightmare for you.
· Never do Business with a Buddy
It sounds amazing to have your best friend working with you. But, remember that renovating a home involves making several decisions. It may result in arguments between you and your buddy. Instead, you should focus on word-of-mouth. If you have received glowing recommendations of a contractor, visit his construction sites, talk to his customers and then, make an informed decision.
· You get what you Pay for
Experience is costly. So, expect an experienced contractor to charge you higher price than an unskilled one. You cannot imagine obtaining the same level of skills from the two contractors. So, make a wise choice after considering your budget.
During the Process
You cannot relax even if you hire the best home renovation contractor in town. In order to get the best results, you have to ensure the following things:
· Do not go on vacation and leave the contractor alone. He may need you to make a few decisions.
· It is wise to visit the site regularly to ensure that everything is in order. It will help you to avoid rework in the future.
· If the renovation work affects more than half the area of your home and you are unable to use any of the bathrooms, you should pack your bags. So, make arrangements for your accommodation well in advance.
· There are high chances that your home renovation project may exceed the budget due to unforeseen circumstances. So, keep aside money for the same.
· The contractor may require a couple of days more for finishing the project. Be ready for it.
After the Process
· Once the contractor informs you that his work is finished, inspect your home. If there is any incomplete work, ask him to finish it.
· You can hire a third-party inspector to do the inspection for you. An experienced inspector will be able to find problems that you may not be able to find.
· Do not forget to create a Punch List to provide detailed information regarding the pending work to the contractor. You must include all the incomplete installations as well as any accidental damage to the existing structures.
Renovating a home is not an easy task. But, we all know that Rome was not built in a day. If you want to transform your idea into a reality successfully, watch over the entire process of the home renovation project.